May 27, 2007

season

Regular readers of this rather pathetic website would know that the 2007 soccer season has ended a fairly long time ago.
I didn't want to blog about it initially as i wanted a fair, subjective view on the whole hooha and not be blinded by hatred.

"If you look back when we started, and then where we are now, then that is progress" are the words of coach.
People might view the HC soccer team as a bunch of perennial no-hopers and based on results, no one can argue against such a view.
7 games, 4 losses (vj, sa, ij, cj), 2 draws (tj, mi) and 1 win(aj) hardly makes for optimistic reading.

Yet, when we first started, we were a motley crew of people who had never played a full game before, let alone x number of DSA slots.
When i first came, i hated the team or rather the lack of team spirit. Cliques were everywhere and the backstabbing was revolting to say the least. Yet, as time went on, I was no longer fighting for my place.
This no longer became about me.
This became a team.

Then came the never ending, morale sapping roll of friendly losses.
It seemed as if the light at the end of the tunnel was a pinprick and it was never coming closer.

However, we picked up form at the right time and we kept fighting on after that.

Luck will always factor in to any circumstance and when you lose your captain after 15 minutes against the defending champion and his season is over.....

season whirled past and then, it was the last match.
When it was over, the tears just flowed as what i had worked for just culminated in a bittersweet swansong.

i don't think anyone saw it, but i was just happy.

I'm thankful to many people. To my class, who always sent me cliched but nevertheless touching words of luck.
To my teachers, who were understanding throughout this period of time.
To YOU, for unless crying sessions.
To TObias, Ruiyi, Louis, for being bench buddies.
To kc, for the never ending love-hate relationship over the right back spot.
To coach for the neverending guidance.
To genesis for betting to shave her head and keeping me motivated.
To shawn and samuel and deborah and my emo kaki wanjing for the support.
To my ipod for allowing me to block out all other people so i can pretend im asleep.
To jing ji(golden rooster) for the late night dinners and the occasional free french fries.
and lastly, to Class of 2007, Team Hwachong.
thank you.

No comments: